Tuesday, November 27, 2012

#Writingtheword...

Over the years, I have not always been as successful as I would like to be with my quiet times. For many years, I guess, it has been hit or miss whether I was able to get in a devoted time to pray or read my Bible. For many years, I did a women's Bible study which had weekly homework, so I had something pushing me to sit down, read, think, and pray on a regular basis.


I have had many fits and starts of journaling. Most fizzled out as quickly as they started...I loved picking out the pretty journal, pens, etc. but never kept up with the journaling - many times in the morning, I just can't gather the thoughts to write them.

I have from time to time joined online Bible studies - did them on my own time - sometimes in the morning, sometimes at night. These studies consisted of studying a book in the Bible - verse by verse. Writing a verse a day - then writing observations, applications, and a prayer about that verse. I found sometimes that that felt forced too. I wasn't always in the mood to have the words to write out the application or even a prayer about that particular verse.

One thing I found tho', was that I really enjoyed writing the verses.

Writing slows you down in a way that reading doesn't.

Why am I telling you all this?? Well, I have found the most wonderful tool for my quiet time.

Journibles....

Huh??

Journibles...

Journibles are journals that are set up to be your own transcribed Bible.  The idea comes from Deuteronomy 17:18 where God tells the kings of Israel to handwrite their own copy of the Torah - the book of laws. The reason was so they would write it, learn it, have it with them always, and teach others from it. I found even as a student (and interestingly my college son tells me this all the time about himself), that I studied best for tests (and retained the material longer) when I could write what I was studying over and over.


The righthand page of a Journible, is where the verses are to be copied. Each verse is listed by number with ample lines for each one. The lefthand page is for notes, comments, doodles, prayers, and often a question is written to lead to deeper thinking or research - or you don't have to put anything at all! With my iphone with me, I can quickly do an internet search for a word definition or help with an answer.

I am LOVING my Journible. I am learning so much and retaining more - and it's becoming something I can't wait to do in the morning. I started out with the book that includes 1Timothy, 2Timothy, Titus, Philemon, and Hebrews. The company has books of most of the New Testament and much of the Old Testament. They are still producing books with the plan that at some point, the entire Bible can be offered.

I am enjoying being a scribe of God's word. Copying with my best handwriting and precision while slowly taking in what I am writing. Then rereading to get more (I even "listen" to the word too using my YouVersion Bible app).


I am even taking a daily picture while I do my Journible (on Instagram - my name is Mustardmom on there - look up #writingtheword to see lots of others doing the same) - to keep a record for myself of my time in the word. It's been fun and I am enjoying getting up early with my tea, my Bible (or Bible app on my phone - I am doing the ESV Bible, a version which I do not currently own), my Journible, and sometimes a fire in the fireplace - to meet with the Lord while I rewrite his words and take them in.

Just lovin' it and thought you might too. I learned about the Journibles from another blogger, so I thought I would pass it on to other bloggers (or blog readers) as well.

Here's the link to the Journibles website:  http://www.the1718series.com/#!  



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...